Sunday, October 26, 2008

Pajama Sunday

Last night I made an Indian fare for my yoga teacher and the librarian from one of my schools, both whom I am enamored with.  Making an Indian meal never feels the same without Cora or Natalia, but it was such a fun challenge to do it in Japan!  Finding the right ingredients was like a culinary scavenger hunt - I found tumeric at one store, cumin and cardamom at another place across the city, lentils at an organic market, but forget finding basmati rice! The Japanese seem to be so enamored with their rice that few other kinds of rice exist to them.  

Cooking Indian food for my friends was somewhat of a relief because even though I knew what dishes I had royally screwed up, they did not.  I miss eating with my fingers, oooh and when you eat something so spicy that it burns when you shit (excuse me).    What did I cook?  Bhangan bharta, daal, puloa, keer, and raita.  It was surreal to have these strong, wonderful spicy smells in my kitchen, in Japan.  We looked at a few of my pictures from India and as expected I felt like boarding a plane to Delhi that moment.  

(Above, the librarian, Miharu, and I with inevitable post-Indian food glazed eyes)
The aftermath.
Bubbling pots of nostalgia.
After enduring months of sweltering heat, there is no way to describe the physical and mental relief brought by an overcast, chilly Sunday.  To celebrate, I am spending the day in a new funky sweater and leggings tucked into my socks.  We all need a lounging Sunday!
A Sunday to contemplate dish drainers full of last night's dishes over cups of hot tea and cinnamon toast.
Something Unrelated to Japan
My most recent favorite children's ullustrator is Miroslav Sasek, a Czech illustrator who did a series of books that give tours of cities around the world. Check out his books!  (They are a really good Christmas present to send me... ) While being of the vintage caliber that I so visually admire, I love that they are images from all around the world.



Wall art from the Swedish and Finnish ceramics movement in the 1950's.  An Ekeby tile and a fish mosaic from Gustavsberg Studio.  Delightful! I am brainstorming ideas within this format, but using Japan-related imagery.  A rice ball mosaic?

1 comment:

vanessa said...

it is starting to rain in good ole california finally! i always welcome the changing of the seasons. its like getting a clean slate and a refreshment of mind.

will the fashionistas of japan become little mountains of layers with big eyes poking out now that the weather is actually cold? please investigate and get back to me. also, is halloween celebrated there? if so, pix plz.